As of December 1, 2012: Sandra Dijkstra and Elise Capron will not accept unsolicited submissions. However, they will continue to welcome projects with referrals, recommendations, or invitations (if we met you at a conference or reached out to your writing program, for example). For submissions that comply with these guidelines, please send your project to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly note your referral/recommendation/invitation.
Other acquiring agents at the Dijkstra Agency are currently accepting unsolicited submissions by email. To submit your project to them, please send your material to:
- Jill Marr: email@example.com
- Jennifer Azantian: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thao Le: email@example.com
- Roz Foster: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read each of their bios (on our Meet the Agents page) before submitting to decide who is the most appropriate agent for you. Do not send your query to multiple agents at SDLA.
We read all query letters. However, because of the high volume of unsolicited submissions we receive, we are only able to respond to those queries in which we are interested. If you have not heard back from us six weeks after sending your letter, you may assume that we have passed. Additionally, if you have submitted to Sandra Dijkstra or Elise Capron and have not complied with our submission requirements, we may not be able to send you a reply.
What to include in your emailed submission package:
Fiction: Please send a query letter, a 1-page synopsis, a brief bio (including a description of your publishing history), and the first 10-15 pages of your manuscript. Please send all items in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Non-fiction: Please send a query letter, an overview of your project including a chapter outline, a brief bio (including a description of your publishing history), a description of competing books, and the first 10-15 pages of your first chapter. If we are interested, we will ask you to send your complete proposal. Please send all items in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
- Please review our agents' profiles (on our Meet the Agents page) to select the agent for whom your project is most appropriate, and send it to her attention. Make your submission to only one agent at our agency.
- Let us know in your query letter if we are reading your work exclusively.
- Be sure to include all of your contact details (email address and phone number), so that we are able to reach you if we are interested in your project or if we have a question.
- If you have relevant writing experience (articles, books) and/or have received writing awards, please include details in your cover letter. If you have been referred to us, please include details in your cover letter.